Grilled Vegetables and Pesto Chicken Panini
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Trattoria style blend of vegetables and grilled chicken breast makes the perfect Panini.
- 1 pkg. HARVESTLAND® Fresh Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 1 large red bell pepper — seeded & quartered
- 1 medium red onion — sliced in 1/3 inch thick rounds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 c. Prepared Pesto
- 1/4 c. Kalamata olives — pitted and finely chopped
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) focaccia bread (or 4 sandwich rolls)
- 8 oz. provolone cheese
- Panini sandwich press, or heavy oven-proof skillet and brick
- Preheat grill to high. Brush chicken, bell pepper and red onion with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken and vegetables on grill. Grill chicken 4-5 minutes per side until internal temperature is 170ºF. Grill vegetables until tender-crisp, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, combine pesto and olives in a small bowl. Slice focaccia into 4 pieces; cut each piece (or each roll) horizontally to make a sandwich. Spread pesto mixture on cut sides of focaccia.
- Slice chicken crosswise 1/8-inch thick. Divide chicken, peppers, onion and cheese evenly between 4 sandwiches. Place top on sandwiches, pesto side down.
- Return sandwiches to grill and reduce heat to medium. Place a heavy cast-iron skillet (or oven-proof skillet weighted with a brick) on top of sandwiches. Close grill lid. Grill 2-3 minutes until bread is crisp; remove skillet, turn sandwiches and repeat pressing with skillet. (May need to grill sandwiches 2 at a time to fit under pan.) Alternatively, press sandwiches in preheated panini grill or sandwich press. Serve warm.