Pancetta Roast Chicken with Fennel Stuffing
Cook Time: 1 hr. 45 min.
A special chicken for special occasions. Amaze your friends and family with this succulent rendition of roast chicken.
- 1 HARVESTLAND® Organic Whole Chicken
- 4 slices pancetta or thinly sliced bacon
- 2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small Fennel — finely chopped
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 3 c. dry stuffing mix (3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF convection or 400ºF conventional.
- Cut pancetta or bacon into strips. Gently separate skin from breast and thigh areas, and lay pancetta or bacon under skin. Smooth skin over chicken.
- Place chicken in a roasting rack or vertical roaster in a large metal roasting pan. Roast 1 hour or until internal temperature is 170ºF at thickest part of breast and 180ºF at thickest part of thigh.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside until cool enough to slice. Meanwhile, set roasting pan over a low burner to make gravy. Stir flour into drippings until absorbed. Add 3/4 cup water, scraping browned bits from pan. Stir until gravy is bubbling and thickened, stirring in additional water if needed.
- To make stuffing: heat olive oil in a saucepan or wide skillet. Add fennel and onion and saute 5-10 minutes until soft. Add 1 cup water; bring to a simmer. Stir in stuffing until thoroughly moistened. Fluff with a fork before serving. Or, transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and reheat in oven before serving.
- Serve chicken with stuffing and gravy (optional).