Warm Chicken and Caramelized Onion Pasta Salad
Cook Time: 30 minutes
The combination of sweet and tangy flavors makes this an out of the ordinary culinary delight. The perfect salad when just any “salad” won’t do!
- 2 c. Cooked HARVESTLAND® Chicken — chopped (1/2 chicken)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil — divided
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3/4 tsp. dried rosemary — crushed or 1 1/2 tsp. fresh chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme — or 1 tsp. fresh
- 1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
- 1/4 c. dry white wine
- 8 oz. orzo pasta — uncooked
- 4 c. Arugula or Baby spinach leaves — (lightly filled)
- 2 - 3 oz. Soft Goat cheese
- Cut onion in half from tip to root end. Peel. Slice vertically into thin strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions; cook 10-15 minutes over medium heat until very soft and golden brown. Amount will shrink by about half.
- Stir in lemon juice, honey, rosemary and thyme, cooking until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in chicken, tomatoes with liquid, and wine. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is heated through and liquid is slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions. Drain. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Keep warm.
- For each serving, place about 2/3 cup hot orzo on a plate. Top with 1 cup arugula or spinach. Spoon warm chicken and tomatoes over greens and crumble 2 tablespoons goat cheese on top. Serve immediately.